Friday, May 8, 2009

Too much information about Nymph


Kong Rithdee has an interview with Pen-ek Ratanaruang about his new movie Nymph in today's Bangkok Post (cache).

From a cursory scan it looks like an informative and well-written piece, but I still don't want to read it. I believe that Pen-ek's new film Nymph (Nang Mai or นางไม้) is the type of film that's best discovered without knowing too much beforehand.

I think I know too much already. Go read it if you want, but don't say I didn't warn you. And whatever you do, don't look at the Thai teaser poster or read the synopsis.

Ignoring all the Nymph press is going to be increasingly difficult as the thriller makes its debut in the Un Certain Regard program at Cannes. But I shall try my best.

It's the only Thai film playing at this year's Cannes fest -- the most exciting in years -- according to Kong.

Of course, you might want to devour everything there is to find about Nymph. So go look at the poster image that Twitch posted a couple of days ago.

I looked and I wished I hadn't. And I'm still not sure it is real. Perhaps it's something Twitch's Todd Brown drew on butcher paper with a box of Crayolas at his kitchen table. And I'm not saying that in a derogatory way at all, because there's nothing wrong it and it gets the idea of the film across, which is basically, a man falls in love with a tree.

And there I've said too much.

Update: There is also too much information at the fairly new Southeast Asian Film Studies Institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no questions or comments about where to download movies or subtitle files.

Please read the FAQ about Thai films on DVD before asking about where to find a Thai movie on DVD with English subtitles.

Make your comments pertinent to the post you are commenting on. For off-topic comments, general observations or news tips, consider sending an e-mail to me at wisekwai [ a t ] g m a i l [d o t ] c o m.

All comments are moderated. Spam comments will be deleted.